Bedford QLR - Lorry 3-Ton 4x4 Wireless House Type

Background

The Lorry 3-Ton 4x4 Wireless House Type - Bedford QLR was based on the standard Bedford 3-Ton 4x4 chassis. The QLR was fitted with special electrical equipment including a 660 watt auxiliary dynamo which was driven off the power take-off. The QLR shown on the scale drawings and sketches is the original type which served with the British Army during the Second World War in the following roles: Cipher office T.E.V. (Division and Corps) Command H.P. Wireless (I) Command L.P. Wireless (R) Mobile Terminal Carrier Wireless H.P. The following variants of the Bedford QLR were produced and in service during the later part of the Second World War.

Bedford QLR Lorry Command Vehicle HP Type A (12HP/19)
Bedford QLR Lorry Command Vehicle HP Types D and E (53/12)
Bedford QLR Lorry Command Vehicle LP Type A (19HP/19)
Bedford QLR Lorry Command Vehicle LP Type A (19HP/19, Maximum Staff)
Bedford QLR Lorry Command Vehicle LP Type A (19HP/19, Body Type 2)
Bedford QLR Wireless HP Type C (33)
Bedford QLR Wireless HP Types E and K (12HP)
Bedford QLR Wireless HP Types G, H and J (53)
Bedford QLR 3ton 4 X 4 Signal Office
Bedford QLR 3ton 4 X 4 Wireless I
Bedford QLR 3ton 4 X 4 cipher office
Bedford QLR Wireless House Body No 1 TEV
Bedford QLR Wireless House Body Type 15 TEV

It is unclear which versions actually saw service with the Canadian Forces in World War II.

The internal layout of the bodies used for these various roles differed regarding furniture, partitioning, and signals equipment but generally, the external appearance was similar. Some of the original type QLR vehicles were superseded in service by later versions including one which was built on an extended chassis similar to the QLT. The body of the original QLR was a completely enclosed house type with personnel doors at the rear and on each side towards the front. Windows that could be lowered to provide ventilation were provided on each side and in the rear door and over each window, a roller sunblind was installed. A kit locker was normally fitted on the front of the body over the spare wheel and fuel tank and on the top of this locker was a rack that carried sections of the aerial mast. Additional sections of the mast were carried on the body sides although on some QLRs these were only carried on the offside. Louvered ventilation panels were normally installed.



A restored Bedford QLR.



Two Canadian Bedford QLR Trucks. The first is lacking the mast normally mounted on the side. But it clearly shows the brackets for these mast parts.



A British Bedford QLR with Mickey Mouse Pattern Camouflage. Also not carrying the mast but showing the brackets from another angle.

VAUXHALL MOTORS started building Bedford Commercial vehicles in 1930 with the Model 'U' 30 cwt truck and 'C' 12 cwt van. By 1939 the Bedford had become one of Britain's most popular trucks in the up to the five-ton capacity range and at the outbreak of W.W.II the company had a group of models which had all been put into production within the previous couple of years. During the war years, Vauxhall's factories were turned over to Military Production, building 250,000 vehicles for the Armed Services, plus 5.640 Churchill Tanks, Armour-piercing shells for the six-pounder gun, four million rocket launcher Venturi tubes, and five million Jerricans Ninety-five percent of the work on Britain's first 12 jet aircraft engines was also carried out by the company. It is interesting to note that the Churchill Tank was designed from scratch and put into production within the remarkably short time of 12 months and that both a track truck (based on the German Sd.Kfz. 7 design) and replacements for the Churchill Tank were under development when the war ended. W.W.II Military Vehicle Production was centered around four models, the 'MW' 15 cwt 4x2, 'OX' 30 cwt 4 x 2, 'OY' 3 ton 4x2, and 'QL' 3 ton 4x4. Except for the 'QL', all were of normal control layout and based on prewar models. The 'QL', however, was of forward control layout and incorporated drive to both front and rear axles. Vehicles of civilian design were also supplied on Government contract and included the complete 1939 range of Vauxhall cars and Bedford Trucks and buses. The Bedford 'QL' 4 x 4 3-ton chassis, which was first produced in 1941 and was subsequently manufactured in far greater numbers than any other chassis type of the same class during the Second World War, was fitted with a wide range of different body types and served with the British Army and Royal Air Force in most theatres of operations. A summary of the 'QLR' type is shown at the beginning of this page.

Scale drawing, 3D and plan view of the 3 compartment version Bedford QLR.



A Bedford QLR amidst a lot of other vehicles, but well recognisable, during a Channel Crossing shortly after D-Day.



Another picture of this vehicle showing some details.

Where to find information

Publications found
on the
Bedford QLR


 


 




Building The Model

The Models and Materials needed

 

The Final Result